problem with roosters combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jojomojo, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    Our two roosters have something going on with their combs. For at least a month now, combs have had black scabs (tiny specks, assumed it was from fighting, but have been watching). Never really noticed any bleeding though. A couple of weeks ago there was a little blood around the roost (looked at all the feet, but never thought to look at combs, never figured out what it was from). In the last week I've caught a couple of hens grabbing ahold of the points on the roos comb, but it didn't seem to be a big problem. Roos seemed to be healing. I've just been watching closely. Well, yesterday there was a bit of blood on the feeder too, and the combs are looking worse. There was quite a bit of white along with the scabs (here's a visual for you since I don't have a picture....worst point is like candy corn, really nasty candy corn lol red base, white middle, black pointy end).

I have considered roos fighting, hens pecking, feeder cutting the combs, fowl pox, frostbite, etc. Whatever it is, a little nu-stock should help. We slathered it on the combs last night. While we were at it, we slathered it on the legs of all (were looking rough, thought maybe scaly leg mites? I'm new, not sure, but figured it couldn't hurt and busting out the nu-stock is not something we want to do more times than we have to [​IMG]).

Now the eggs smell terrible, at least the shells. Would you say its okay to use them? Crack them open and use the smell test? I figure its at least fine to cook up and feed them back, right? I really wish I had thought that part through a little better lol

Also thought I'd add after a bit more searching today, I came across a post here on BYC and I'm adding favus to my list of suspicions.

Whatever it is, nu-stock seems like an appropriate treatment, right? Should I treat the hens combs as well even though I haven't noticed anything wrong with them?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Don't eat eggs that smell bad.

Sorry I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    Thanks for the advice? [​IMG]

I guess what I was asking was as long as the white/yolk smell fine, no hint of nustock, is it okay to eat. It just got on the outside of the shell from their legs.

If the egg inside has even the slightest hint of nustock, it will definitely not be eaten (at least by people) [​IMG] I think I'll just cook it up for the birds anyway.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by