Problem with run area! Any Help? Ideas please??????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OliviaDeHav, Jul 22, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    We are using a dog run for the chicken run. I've seen quite a few on here who are doing this. HOW do you deal with the spaces where the ends meet? and where the door is?? How can you put hardware cloth on the door and still open it?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I use pieces of lumber attached to the wire to block off the gaps at corners and doorway; but you could use a strong wire, too.

For the door, the best thing to do IMO is to have an overlapping "frame" of lumber on the side the door opens away from. Does that make any sense? Like, if the door opens inwards, on the *outside* of the doorway build a flat frame of whatever-dimension boards it takes to cover the gaps and overlap the edges of the closed door by about 2". When I'm attaching lumber to chainlink frames I mostly drill holes and 'sew' it on with 14 gauge wire, but there are many other options, some of them better [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  3. Cherry Glen Chickens

Cherry Glen Chickens In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Hi, here is what I did and it has worked out for me as a temporary "fix" until the coop is finished:)
    I zip tied chicken wire around base of kennel panels. For the 2 1/2 inch gaps at the sides of the door I spanned the gap and allowed 6-8 inches over and attached that to a piece of scrap metal not currently being used. This piece of wire continues on the inside of the door and and then feeds through opening by the latch and is "wrapped tight" to the outside when the kennel door is closed and then secured with the metal pipe and a piece of small wire. The chicken wire has held up with opening and closing the door several times a day for the past three months and I would think that hardware cloth might work as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps;)

4. paigerdoodle

paigerdoodle In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I also just put up a dog kennel yesterday as a temporary coop. I used chicken wire to reinforce the areas between bars and other places I thought weren't quite cat proof. I have two kitties that can't seem to quit licking their lips....

5. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by