Problem with Silkie Rooster and cochin Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ILuvMyPetChickens, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    My Cochin Hen who is ten times bigger than my Silkie Rooster she likes to peck his head and pull his feathers out. Are they fighting or playing? I can't tell. I'm worried because I'm keeping them both and I want them to get along.

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Is there much age difference between them? Sometimes my little silkie hen gets picked on by the others, i think its due to the fluffy heads looking interesting, i wouldn't of thought it was anything serious unless its drawing blood, when this happens it becomes even more interesting to them which makes them do it even more, in that scenario i've heard blue kote works wonders [​IMG]

3. ILuvMyPetChickens

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    Oh okay. They grew up together I had them since they were peeps. I'm just worried about him going bald again on top. Poor fluffy just keeps getting picked on the other chickens chase him away when I give him food and I throw the others food somewhere else.

4. ILuvMyPetChickens

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    and what's Blue Kote?

5. farmergirl96

farmergirl96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    Whenever I try to mix a chicken with feathers on its head with other chickens it gets picked on. They say birds of a feather flock together, and it really is true. If you have a smaller amount of silkies than normal chickens, maybe you could try to find some other place to keep your silkies.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by