Problem with Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickendude1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Hi i got a problem with my silkie chicks. I hatched a few silkies, they turned out to be smaller than my last silkies, there not growing very quickly and are not very active. Several have already dies. I really dont know whats wrong with them. I have 5 silkie roosters with my 2 silkie hens. I know i have too many roosters already. I two red ones, two white silkie roosters, and one black one. The two hens are black and white and are the chicks of the black rooster. Those are my breeding roosters and hens. I dont know why there chicks are dying and arent active. We hatched them in our Sportsmen Incubator witch is cleaned every hatch. Please i need expert advice on this problem. Please help so i dont make anymore mistakes Thanks.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Maybe you have inbred chooks [​IMG] The same thing happened to my friend once. They all started getting quirky deformities then dying earlier. Another option is malnutrition. They could also be too cold, or too hot. A little more information would be helpful [​IMG] Sorry for your loss

3. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    K my black rooster is the dad of my only two hens ,and i breed him with those two is that inbreeding or not.

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Line breeding is father to daughter or mother to son

Inbreeding is brother to sister.....be very careful with inbreeding except to "set" a desirable trait, but can also cause problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by