Problem with wing or just darker feathers coming in? ( PIC added)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjbakke, Apr 16, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I noticed today that one of our 2 week old chick had a red spot on her wing, that part that is closest to the body. She is the one with the most wing feathers so far. Is this normal? It looked slightly like blood? I thought maybe she flew up and hit it on the bars over the brooder. I'll keep any eye on it. This is our first time with chicks so I don't know if this should be worry some or not. Could they just be darker red feathers coming in?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    It also looks like one of the others is starting to get the same thing. Also they are golden buff chicks.

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    post a pic of the wings... Also we love pics of birdies [​IMG]

4. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I'll try to take some today. It's cold here still so I am trying to avoid taking them out to much. I noticed this morning that there are some dark redish spots on her tail feathers that are coming in as well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  5. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Here is the best pic I could take of her. It's cold out and I didn't want to keep her out any longer. I circled the parts that I am worried about. She will be 3 wks old on Mon.

[​IMG]

6. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Anyone?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Touch the "spots" with a moistened tissue. If it is blood some will come off on the tissue. I am unable to tell from the pictures exactly what you are talking about. I do see some reddish feathers starting to come in.

8. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    i'm a complete newbie, but mine have feathers coming in and they r around that age (3 wks) and have areas that look like urs. i just assumed that it was the heavier feathers coming in. I hope that's what it is and not something more serious! [​IMG]

9. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, I will get better pics of all of them when It warms up, they grow so quickly! It's not blood. I think now they are just larger darker feathers coming in. Maybe she will be a darker red than I thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by