1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problem

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken42626, Sep 6, 2014.

1. chicken42626

chicken42626 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    I have a 3 Rhode Island red chickens 2 of them weigh the same and one is light like a baby chicken all three chicken eat the same food I had the chickens for a couple years the one chicken is activa and is eating what should I do ?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it really a problem? If you've had her two years and she is active and eating - she was just destined to be small. So am I. If you got your birds from a hatchery, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Welcome to BYC.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Not all chickens are going to weigh the same. They can range from 2 or 3 pounds more than your smallest chicken in the same flock and same breed. She may be a runt. Give her an over all exam and compare the way she feels to the others. You want to feel the breast bone. Is hers just as prominent as the others? Or does it stick way out like the keel of a boat? There should be sufficient meat on either side of the breast bone.

If she feels similar to the others, she is eating and drinking normally and is just as active than the others, than this is just the way she is. Just as in humans, there are tall ones, short ones, thin one and fat ones. Even in the chicken world, they are each different.

If you do notice something greatly different about her, than she could have a health issue of some sort.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

X3 on TwoCrows' advice. I wouldn't worry about your small hen unless she seems weak or is getting thinner, in which case there is something wrong.

6. chicken42626

chicken42626 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    when she out with other she get lost and i have to find her and take her to the other ones her comb is light pink i got the chickens in the spring from a place i try to find her crawl i could not find it

7. Dee Ann

Dee Ann Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    Griffin, GA
    That light pink comb may not be a good sign. They should have color.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

The weight you see under a breed is the average. Individual chickens can weigh one or two pounds more or less than the average.

As long as she acts healthy, she is fine.:)

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    She may need to be wormed. Chickens this age many times have worms and this will starve them out till they die. Have you wormed them recently or know if they have been wormed?

Is she much thinner than the rest of the flock?

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by