Problematic day old Cortunix Quail Chick

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lizzabetty, Jul 21, 2011.

1. lizzabetty

lizzabetty New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Please please need some guidance!
    I've researched non-stop since this little guy has hatched. He started hatching, and was the 3rd egg to do so in our crappy incubator. 1st one didnt make it out of the shell and died, the 2nd one hatched Saturday and is doing extremely well - and this guy got stuck in the shell! I wasn't about to lose another one so we helped him out. Ever since he hatched he had a bent neck and his feet were crooked. After a lot of research I think it was because he was in the shell too long - he didnt make any progress for 6 hours after pipping, but once we did what he should've done he popped out of the shell and has been a fighter ever since!
    I was so upset once he hatched because he kept flipping on his back and I didn't know how to help him - I wanted to take him to the shelter but after this morning I found he was doing pretty ok, his neck is a little off but other then that it's fine. I've "braced" his feet (if thats what you call it?) by putting two band-aids facing each other and he's doing so much better since I put those on (around 6pm?) but his legs seem to be a bit funky and I don't know if thats just because he was walking funny for the first day. He's so strong and a big fighter! But it's now 3am and he wont stop chirping. When the other chirps I hold him for a while and give him attention (they're not together because the 1st one pecks at the weak one) and then after a while put him back and he eats and drinks and sleeps. This one I was doing the same with, he sleeps A LOT, but right now he just wont stop chirping. I'm worried his feet might not be getting enough circulation but I don't know how to tell!!
    Please don't tell me I need to cull him because I refuse to do it. He is a strong little fighter and has been through so much just in his first 2 days of his life. Sorry to be long winded but I'm so worried! I will post a picture if needed. PLEASE HELP ASAP! I don't want to lose him!

2. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

I am no expert ... but this is what happened with mine:
    [​IMG] ... I had one that had split legs and moved around like smeagel... which I helped out of the shell... I honestly don't know how you got the bandaids on...
    In retrospect (sorry I know don't want to hear this) but I should have culled him instead of letting him die of dehydration... I had a few others with curled feet ... but they had better movement than smeagel.

I suggest trying to put saw dust down on the floor of the bedding as it helps give floor more padding for the their feet. This helped corrected the foot problems with the ones with curled feet.

I also read threads about baby vitamins pol vol (sorry cant remember the name ... which might also help).

And make sure he drinks and eats ... if he's independent its hopefully looking good... they grow supa fast so you might need to keep adjusting the brace.

Goodluck

http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf this is the link aprophet sent me try looking at appendix c

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    If culling isn't an option sounds like you did all you could with bracing his feet and helping keep him in a "safe" area. I hope he does well for you!

4. lizzabetty

lizzabetty New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Let me tell you, the band-aids took forever to get on but he LOVES being in our hands and passes out in our hands so that helped haha (he sleeps A LOT more then the other one does).
    But we took the band-aids off this morning and his feet are fine now! I'm so happy and he's moving a lot better then he was, I think he's a lot happier now and he actually finds food and water pretty well but now that his feet are fine he does a lot better.
    He kind of has a limp so I'm not sure if I should brace his legs together to treat splayed legs? his legs dont splay out but I'm not sure if that would help his legs stay under him and make him stronger?
    He is the funniest sweetest little guy (assuming he's a male haha), he passes out on his back and even if u pick him up he keeps sleeping. I did tell myself the night he "came into the world" that I'm never helping another chick out of its shell because of this reason - but I've done everything in my power to help this little guy and I know he's happy and warm and he's actually now in with the other chick.. so if he does have a short life at least he lived the happiest one he could've, because he is very loved.
    Also I'm not hatching anymore eggs because I plan to give him and the other chick my full attention since he has special needs.

5. lizzabetty

lizzabetty New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    So I've just noticed the chick is limping/leaning to one side, and keeps falling over and can't get back up very well. I don't know if it's his legs or what... any suggestions of why this would be happening or what I should do? [​IMG]

6. lizzabetty

lizzabetty New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    So I saw him get himself up. I guess he just likes to be lazy sometimes? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by