1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problems adding new baby chicks to young birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hydropsyche, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hydropsyche

Hydropsyche New Egg

Jan 11, 2012
    Hi,
    We are studiously researching and planning to get baby chicks at the end of March. We want to get an Orpington, Americauna-mix and a couple of Silkies. We were hoping these would be fairly quiet and friendly as we have young kids. I am now not sure that we can get the Silkies at the same time as the larger hens and was wondering how much of a problem that would be since most information that I've read says that bullying problems can be avoided if the chicks were raised together. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually you can mix chicks together before they are a month old, at least if they are all either large fowl or bantam. Mixing silkies with large fowl might present its own set of problems, though. You won't know til you try..

3. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I would also try to introduce them side by side with a fence between them first, when I added my second batch of chicks 2 months after the first hatch I kept them separate but next to each other for a month before short intro's that i supervised just in case anyone was very naughty. that worked very well and I had little trouble once they were turned loose together. even with my roosters who I was afraid would rape my new pullets before they were ready to lay. They actually left them alone, don';t know why or if that is normal, but my 2 guys didn't start breeding them until they started to lay. So it also helps if you have extra room for them to get away from each other should they get chased or flogged by anyone. Good luck with your adventure. Kim

Edit to add a picture I hope....... It also helps if your set up incorporated a separate fenced area sorta like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by