problems breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by muus, Jan 20, 2014.

1. muus

muus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2013
    Hello
    My baby roo have problems breathing. He breathes very strong, like an human taking a deep breathe. Only breathe so bad when he sleeps. What is the problem?
    I gived them olive oil but he still bad.
    Thanks

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Do you have any VetRx you can give him? Feedstores usually carry it. I would try that first. Instructions are in the box.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How old is this bird? Is he making any rattling, wheezing or gurgling noises when he breaths or is he just breathing heavily? Sometimes birds who have Infectious Bronchitis are worse at night but they typically progress to making the noises I described above. Watch him carefully, if he is indeed sick it would be wise to treat with antibiotic's to help prevent pneumonia and secondary infections.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I have noticed some chickens do "snore" when they sleep, just like people do. If he seems fine otherwise and isn't sneezing or gasping for breath or squinted his eyes when he inhales like it hurts him to breathe I would just keep an eye on him.

5. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    I don't understand but there, there aren't any veterinaire that can help me. All vets here are for dogs, cats or exotics. Not for puoltry,
    Thanks

6. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    No, it only breathes heavely. He don't make any noises and he is 1 month and 1 week old.
    Thanks

7. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    It's very possible is only snoring. The bird is perfect, is very healthy and powerful and he eats very well. I give him wheat, rice, corn and a food for chikens of his type. It's a broiler roo, but isn't going to be eated [​IMG]
    Thanks

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

VetRx is an over the counter product similar to mentholatum for humans that can be used to help sick birds breath easier. You place it on their nostrils and under the wings. It won't cure anything but it can help birds who are congested. It can also be mixed with warm water and given orally.

9. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    Thanks , now i understand what are you saying, but this medicine is not for sell here....

10. calliescluckers

calliescluckers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    i have a baby turkey doing this. almost gasping for air and sounds gurgly. should i separate him? what could it be???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by