Problems candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigbum1984, Feb 21, 2013.

1. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    Hi all, I'm on day 7 of incubation, I'm incubating 18 eggs and can see growth in 11 of them. How long should I leave the others before removing? I don't want them going rotten and exploding and ruining the live ones. A couple of them are quite dark and have speckled shells and I've read that these can be hard to candle.

This is my first try at incubating and need help!!!!

2. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    I'd leave them at least until day 10 . I've cracked open a few earlier and discovered veins that I couldn't see when I candled .

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    yes so have I. I would say at least ten, 15 would be ok too..... good luck and keep me updated!

4. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    The eggs that i think aren't fertile don't have the air pocket that the others do, plus still can't see anything other than dark circle that I'm pretty sure is the Yolk. I've candled them daily and there's no change, have been told they'll be ok to leave until hatch day but worried they'll go bad and ruin the others. I'm on day 10 of incubation, what have others done?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. FeatheredFreind

FeatheredFreind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    what are you using to candle with? I have always been able to tell by day 11 even if it is just a few veins by the aircell. BUT what are you candling with? What type of light?

6. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    A bright led torch in a dark room

7. FeatheredFreind

FeatheredFreind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    that proberly is getting the job done but i found the flash light ap on a smart phone to be the best because it is bright and small so all the light goes directly in the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by