problems incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigbum1984, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    I've recently decided to incubate some eggs, they've been in my home-made incubator for 4 days now, but on the second night while i was asleep the light bulb blew and the temperature dropped to 74*f. I had to get up at 5 for work, so the light had not been off for long, will this have affected my eggs development? I'm worried that I'm incubating eggs that aren't developing, please help!!!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Only way to tell is to candle them at day 7 and compare to pictures here in the learning center under hatching chicks.
    Mother hens do get off the nest every once in a while, though usually not for more than 1/2 hour or so.

3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from KY!
    Don't fret yet. I have forgotten to turn my incubator back on more times than I can count and quite frankly it never affected my hatches. I have left it off for over 8 hours in the winter and I still had great hatches. So just like the poster above me said, candle and see how things are going!

[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they are fertile, the eggs should be fine. They frequently get colder than that when the hen leaves the nest. Welcome to BYC.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  6. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    Thanks all, is it ok to incubate them on straw? I found they moved around more on the chicken wire

7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I actually lay a layer of paper towels down on the wire in the incubator. It helps my humidity as well as keeps the eggs a little more still.

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Thank you all for this reassuring thread. I just set eggs on Saturday and this morning the power went off for about 2 hours. The temp only dropped to 84* and I got it back up to 87* by layering coats and blankets on top. Last night I know some were developing b/c while turning I checked a few and could already see veining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by