Problems laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChookCluck, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    I have a little Rheinlander (I think) bantam, who seems to have trouble laying. She is NOT eggbound, and she always gets the egg out in the end. It's just that for a considerable while beforehand, she stands around with her tail hanging down and generally looking sad. She has done this for the last 2 eggs she has layed, but never before. She lays a big egg for her size, and the first ever egg she layed caused her to strain for a whole day, and ended up in prolapse. Thankfully she has never had any other problems until now.

I suspect that his could be due to her losing condition due to her moulting.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help make laying eggs a bit easier for her.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad she is not egg bound at least. Your theory about her being out of condition due to recent molting sounds reasonable. I have read where some people put their chicken under a heat lamp to relax them when straining to lay an egg. It is the same idea as the warm bath for an egg bound chicken, but less complicated. I am assuming that her egg shells are nice and hard, but if they are not soft shell eggs are more difficult to pass, and adding more calcium to the diet can help. I suppose syringing a little lubricant into her vent could help, too.

3. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks for your help! One of her last two eggs was soft-shelled, but the other wasn't. I think i'll just have to keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by