Problems or not, is it just luck of the draw?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Teppler, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Teppler

Teppler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Denison, Texas
    Being new to the forum I have been lurking for weeks reading of the horror stories raising chickens and the wonderful fulfilling
    part of the experience. I have two out of originally six RIR hens and they have been basically trouble free, lost four to hawks, I bought them at Tractor Supply and just kept them water a food and they have thrived. I recently acquired eight from a guy who had a hundred outside in a pen covered by a tarp with one heat lamp.in the winter time in North Texas and it was in the 30s. I paid $2 a piece and all eight lived and are doing great so I am wondering why some seem to be bullet proof and others die easily. I just introduced the eight to the pen with the two adults and it was nip and tuck the first day as one of the adults taunted
    them all day long chasing them and lightly pecking at them but today they are all outside foraging and basically coexisting
    just fine. SO can I expect things to turn for the worse or just hope my luck holds out..

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Wish for luck.
    When bringing in new birds from another source, it's best to quarantine for at least 2 weeks.
    If you have chickens long enough eventually one will die. That said, if kept well fed, watered, relatively clean surroundings and excellent ventilation they should thrive.

I'm not sure what breed of chicken would need a heat lamp in Texas. Protection from the heat yes, but not from cold.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Teppler

Jan 29, 2014
    Denison, Texas
    Thanks for your reply,
    It gets down to the low teens quite often here in North Texas and some cold spells last several days. The new chicks were close to two months old before I turned them in with the girls and they were in separate enclosures but visible for a week before so they were use to seeing them, so far the Hawks have been the only problem keeping chickens alive here.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    People have a lot of hawk trouble here too. So far roosters have protected mine.

It hit -19 here this winter, no heat and wide open ventilation.
    A lot of people aren't aware how cold hardy they are.
    Most breeds evolved in very cold climates with no way to heat them.
    Jungle fowl even live in the Himalayan foothills.

That was a great price on those birds.
    I don't know how people can sell them so cheap.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. Teppler

Jan 29, 2014
    Denison, Texas
    How do you keep the water from freezing at those low temps? I had to put a heat lamp over the grown girls water to keep it thawed out for several days.The older chickens seem to make it just fine in the cold weather.They loved the snow we got this year 3-4 inches but we had several days where it iced over and they would go out for a few minutes playing on the ice slipping and sliding around it sure was funny to watch.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is funny to watch. Mine were flapping their wings yester trying to stay upright on the ice.

I use bird bath heaters in large black rubber feed bowls. I also have 2 heated waterers (design leaves much to be desired. I have 3 groups out of range of electricity so I have to carry water to them several times a day. Can you say, 'hassle'?

7. Teppler

Jan 29, 2014
    Denison, Texas
    Hopefully we are out of the worse weather, today we will be up to 65 or so. before long it will be over a hundred and I will be complaining of the heat..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by