problems with banty hatch rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by britsngrits, May 3, 2011.

1. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    I have not had much luck with the banty eggs hatching. I have had two chicks completely form then die prior to hatching. I have only had 3 banty chicks out of about 16 eggs actually make it. I don't know why because the standard eggs have about a 98% hatch rate. The last one that didn't make it, I could hear it chirping in the egg and it never hatched... it just got more and more quiet. I now have another one that I can hear chirping but there are NO cracks in the egg yet. I really want to let nature take it's course but I know I will get no sleep tonight worrying about this chick. Suggestions? I do NOT want to let another one die slowly in the egg. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What is your humidity?

3. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    I've no clue. This one was sitting under a hen. I had to start tapping the shell every day to see who is ready to hatch then move them into the incubator as I had a problem with some bad hens killing the chicks and no way to keep them away from the 2 broody hens. So..... as soon as I hear them chirp in the shell I transfer them into the incubator. The trays are full of water.... It's a little giant still air. I'm not sure how much that has to do with it if the standard size chicks hatch like crazy... just seems to be a problem with the banties not making it out of the egg.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You need a hygrometer especially with the LG as they are the red headed step children of the bator world. Also, the bator needs to be in a room that has consistent temps and does not have doors opening and closing all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by