Problems with cukes, pickles and zucchini's....

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by hosspak, Jan 12, 2014.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Does anyone know what problem causes my cukes, pickles, and zucchinis to stop producing and the leaves turn yellow get a waxey and sticky film on the leaves.... This also happened to my cantaloupes and watermelons last year. Is there anything I need to do to the soil as I'm getting my beds ready for planting. We had tremendous output from these plants during the 2013 summer then almost overnight these plants wasted away due to whatever this problem is. Any help is muchly appreciated.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    could be the squash bug. They hang out under the leaves, if you find them there I believe it is already too late.

3. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I had the same problem this past summer, mine was caused by the squash beetle. By the time I realized I had them it was too late. They wiped out my zucchini, yellow summer squash, pumpkins and my cucumbers. I will be trying NEEM for this summers planting. I've heard good results from others using this product.

4. Euarto Gullible

Euarto Gullible Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Pueblo, CO``
    It sounds like bacterial wilt, a disease carried by the cucumber beetle. If so, something you can try is planting squash that are c. moschata, which have a greater resistance to bacterial wilt. In addition, you can plant a variety of c. moschata squash called Tromboncino and eat it as a zucchini in the summer or let it ripen to a winter squash.
    There is a variety of cucumber resistant to bacterial wilt called County Fair. For many, it's the only cucumber that can be grown organically in places with heavy infestations of cucumber beetles.

[​IMG]

5. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Hmmmm, I never found any beetles...

6. Euarto Gullible

Euarto Gullible Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Pueblo, CO``
    Probably something else, then. Do you have photos?

7. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Not any more, I do have a tabasco bush in the garden for one more year, it still has a little of the sticky residue on it from last summer.

8. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by