Problems with drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sherrik9, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sherrik9

sherrik9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Lake Tapps, WA
    I have too many drakes (4) and they were starting to pick on a couple of the ducks (8) so I put the drakes in a new pen. Solid six foot wooden fence with a 6 ft gate between pens. Drake pen is 20ft by 30ft. Now the boys are picking on one of the boys. So my question is what do I do about this. They have been apart from the ducks for 2 weeks now, the picking started yesterday. The drake being picked on is not one I want to use for breeding. I didn't want to put the drake I want to use for breeding in with the girls til Feb. Should I take one or two of the drakes I do want to use and go ahead and put them with the girls. Any help appreciated.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would rehome the extra drakes or put them in the freezer. Things could work out over time but it could be too late for the drake that is being picked on. With 8 ducks, you should only have 1 maybe 2 drakes with them. What is your reasoning for not putting the breeders together? I would think that putting the breeder drakes in with the ducks now would at least save you some trouble later. If you put the drakes you don't want to breed with the ducks, you will have to remove them later and if they go back in the drake pen, you will have to deal with a change in the flock dynamic and potential fighting. The same would happen when the breeder drakes are introduced to the ducks.

3. sherrik9

Jun 12, 2012
    Lake Tapps, WA
    I use the drakes for herding. During non breeding/laying times I use drakes and ducks. Once the ducks start laying I stop herding with them, just in case one of them gets stepped on or gets hurt with an egg stuck inside. I really need more drakes, would like to have about 7 but when I divided up the groups for other herding folks this year I ended up short. Poor planning on my part.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I would re home any ducks you do not plan to use in your breeding, and then go ahead and put the drakes you keep in with the girls. That way when you get ready to hatch, hopefully everyone will be used to each other and the eggs will be nice and fertile. : )

~ Aspen

5. sherrik9

Jun 12, 2012
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Just in case anyone has the same problem I thought I'd post an update. The drake that got picked on developed an infection in both eyes. After treating him I'm happy to report he is doing great. By reading a lot of older posts I figured out that the drakes weren't getting enough water. Plenty of water in the pen but the pen is very large. They were hanging out next to the ducks on the fence line and NOT leaving. I moved them 10 ft away from from the girls, using dog x pens, and they are now eating and playing in the water again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by