Problems with egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mike2216, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Mike2216

Mike2216 New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    I have 9 Black Australop chickens. I installed a lightbulb to get them to lay thought the winter. It was working for a while, with them collectively laying around 4 eggs per day. However, I had a timer malfunction a few weeks back, and since then they have not been laying at all.

I don't know if it has to do with the cold tempatures, or the fact that the foot of snow on the ground has limited their forage. (they are free range). It might also be that they aren't tricked by the lightbulb anymore. If this is the case, should they start laying again once the days grow longer?

Any suggestions to get them laying again ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    How long did they go without the supplemental light? This could very well be the cause. Any little glitch like that will throw them off. They should get back to laying soon though.

Also.. they ONLY free range? If that is their only source of food, and they aren't able to get it, that would have something to do with the lack of laying. Maybe you could supplement them with something until they are able to forage again

3. ctibbitts

ctibbitts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Western New York
    I agree with everything PSJ said. One of my bulbs burned out in my barn a couple of days ago and it threw 28 of my hens off. Usually if it's a laying problem from a light my chickens get back on schedule in a couple of days. The cold snap probably threw them off more than anything though. The cold snaps always slow all 42 of mine right down for a little while.

4. ctibbitts

ctibbitts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Western New York
    Make sure you check their beaks and feathers for signs of egg eating when you check on them in the morning. Could a hen, predator, or neighbor be eating them? Put a fake egg or golf ball in their nest box to encourage laying again and to discourage egg eating chickens.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by