Problems with hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FloridaBasser, Feb 13, 2014.

1. FloridaBasser

FloridaBasser Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Orange county, FL
    Hey all hoping someone can help me. Got 5 eggs incubating, we were in lockdown ( Ive had to open incubator twice now but outside humidity is in 50s and 60s) . 1st egg the baby popped right out 3 hours after pip no issues. 2nd baby got dried out membrane. 3rd baby was glued in shell. 4th died still in shell after pipping and hole for breathing was established. 5th egg stopped moving/pipped did not zip. Doing dry incubation method, temperature has been steady at 100 degrees. Humidity at 55%, when 2nd baby got glued I put wet rag in incubator but 3rd baby still shrink wrapped. Am I missing something?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It sounds like the humidity was too low. I've managed to hatch chicks at around 55% humidity, but if they take a bit too long to finish the process they'll dry out and get stuck like you described. Aim for 65% or higher when they start hatching.

3. FloridaBasser

Mar 27, 2013
    Orange county, FL
    whats the best way to creep up the humidity by only 5 or 10% ? Thats about how far off I am right now from 65% I don't want to swamp them either lol

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What I do to keep the humidity level and where I want it for lockdown is put a damp cloth in the incubator and wet it every now and then as needed. What you can also do, if you have space, is put another water container in there. Theoretically the bigger the water surface, the higher the humidity will be. If you need to get it up quickly, put a little bit of wet tissue paper in there. A smallish wad of wet tissue paper bumps up the humidity in my Brinsea Eco 20 by 10-15% within 2 minutes.

5. FloridaBasser

Mar 27, 2013
    Orange county, FL
    Update: 80% hatch, number 4 was pipped, I went to do a few things they went from zipped to out of egg flopping in around 45 minutes on their own. so 4 out of 5 hatched No clue why number 5 stopped[​IMG]

it wasnt an air problem he had poked a hole out that let air in. Guess its just one of those things?

6. FloridaBasser

Mar 27, 2013
    Orange county, FL
    OK thanks Sumi, So maybe after lockdown and everyone pips put a tray of water in there? Im usually running between 50 and 80% humidity because of the area Im in.

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Two of the causes of death at this stage (after pipping through shell) is:

- Humidity or temperature too long for prolonged period.
    - Low humidity during hatching.

What make/model incubator are you using?

8. FloridaBasser

Mar 27, 2013
    Orange county, FL
    Im using a Blue M bacteriological incubator.

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've never heard of that one. I was just looking at the pic you posted. If you have the eggs on a removable tray in the incubator you can spread a cloth under the tray and keep it damp. That will help maintain the required humidity during lockdown and hatch.

10. FloridaBasser

Mar 27, 2013
    Orange county, FL
    I got it from a former reptile breeder and dealer. it sat unused for a few years so he gave it to me. It holds temp well, my only con is that it isnt easy to set up a egg roller without cutting into it. it has slotted walls for the shelves. Ill have to show you my jury rigged egg roller lol. too bad its a manual one. I also have an old styrofoam incubator but for some reason its temp is 107 so not very useful except as a raised stand alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by