1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problems with hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by synoviaus, May 8, 2009.

1. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Ok, this is my third try to hatch eggs. They should hatch next week. The first two batches appeared infertile. No blood, no color changes in the yolks, and no chicks after 21 days. How often do you guys add water into a hovabator with auto turner and fan? How often is it safe to open it? I'm keeping the temp right on 100 degrees. What could I be doing wrong? I really want to make sure these eggs hatch. Amy

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure that the eggs are fertile? Usually, even if a hatch fails, you will get some sort of progress such as veining, etc... If none are developing, then I would have to wonder about the fertility of the eggs.

3. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Get a hygrometer (ones made for use in a reptile terrarium are inexpensive and a handy size) the monitor the humidity. When it drops 5% or more, add water.

Temperature in a forced air bator should be 99.5 (average). Open it if you need to, but not otherwise.

If none of the eggs developed at all, then they weren't fertile. Even in the worst shipped batch, some of them will make an effort.

Webfoot

4. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    Could be the fertility. The folks I got the eggs from had a large number of roosters. So, they may have been fighting too much to get the job done. Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by