1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

problems with homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QCFChicks, May 16, 2011.

1. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    I built a homemade incubator from plans on byc. I took a cooler cut a hole in the top for glass to see inside two holes in the sides for ventilation a light bulb inside connected to a hot water thermostat along with a computer fan a plastic dish for water and a hydrometer/thermometer combo. Works great able to keep a pretty steady humidity % but the temp is another thing. The hydrometer/ thermometer tells me the high and low for the past few hrs. Well it started off going from 102 to 95 now I have it set so the high is 100 and low is 88. This is my first incubator and my first time incubating pretty sure from the people I've talked to and things I've read that wont hatch eggs. Any ideas on how I can get my temp more steady?

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Is the room temp steady? Heat/cold from below? Try closing up the ventilation holes with tape.

3. Tom Turkey

Tom Turkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Ky
    Its probably your thermostat I would recomend getting the reptitemp 500r It keeps my tempuratures between 99.5 and 100 its a great thermostat.

4. QCFChicks

Jan 19, 2011
    Yes the temp is pretty steady its in my house away from any air vents or windows. Where can I get a 500r thermostat? I have the vent holes covered with tape and cut holes and slits in it to help with the humidity and temp.

5. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    How far is the bulb from the thermostat? I had to play around with several positions before it began working well. A small move in any direction can have a great impact.

Also, do you have a computer fan in it? I would recommend installing one, as that helps steady the temperature.

6. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I got my repti temp on amazon. its awesome. Has outlets for 2 lights. Helps keep the temp balanced and is great if one bulb burns out.

7. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    kvmommy, can you provide a link to the exact model on Amazon I can't seem to find one that has two outlets for lights.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Best to have the BACK of the thermostat facing the light bulb and around two inches away. If you get it right, you can get almost zero temperature fluctuation. I have two links in my sig; the second one is to a page that explains it very well, especially the second one http://cmfarm.us/WHTincubator.html , second video on the page.

Installing the thermostat so that I cannot work well is universally the reason "everyone" thinks you get large temperature fluctuations with hot water heater thermostats. Follow this guy's instructions and you'll be very pleased with your home built incubator. I sure was! I get almost a full degree of temp fluctuation but I'll accept that!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  9. Tom Turkey

Tom Turkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Ky
  10. QCFChicks

Jan 19, 2011
    Quote:I have the thermostat close to where the eggs will be. My thinking in this is that is where it is important to know the temp. The light and computer fan is on the opposite side of the Bator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by