Problems with Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Perspicacity, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    Hey (Second problem for a newbie here :p)

I was silly enough to put eggs in completely different times, and one of my eggs are on Day 18 and are due to hatch this weekend. I have no clue what to do with the other remaining 18 eggs and I can't go out and buy another incubator as they are very pricey. Do I just leave the eggs without turning it or leave it with the egg at the same humidity?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You can stop turning around day 14 so it's not all as haywire as you assume. The problem is the humidity as you need to raise it. What this means is the last eggs set wont have had as long to release moisture and the air sacs will be small. Again not critical just not ideal.

Stop turning eggs and raise the humidity to 70% RH. As you guessed most people doing staggered hatches use a separate incubator as the high humidity hatcher and place the eggs in it day 18.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    So should I just leave them all in the incubator?

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Unless you have a second Bator or broody hen then yes leave them in. As soon as the hatch is done lower your humidity.

5. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    What day are the other eggs on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by