Problems with incubator....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robo, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Okay So I have my still air LG and I have done so much to it to try and make it usable. I have replaced almost everything in it and it is still acting up. Whenever I put eggs into lockdown the temp stabilizes for about 2 hours and then shoots up. I am lucky because I am sick today and stayed home. It went up to 108* for a little less than an hour. Any ideas why lockdown messes it up? I have even replaced the thermostat control unit and it still does this, is there anything I can do to make it quit this? I can't wait until my home made is finished....

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if you place a fan in it will help, but as chicks hatch they give off heat, (like when you exercise) your temp and humidity will go up

3. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Oh, last time the incubator went up 10*, would it cause that much of a change? You are right about the fan, I need to add that.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    yes it can, can you open the vents what is your temp set at?

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It has been at 100.2 for the last few weeks. I turned it down and i is reading 98.6 now, should I just leave it there?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I hate still air incubators, [​IMG] they are so frustrating, how to fix it ?

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Well I got it down to 98 and a few minutes later it went up to 111*. I took it down to where the thermostat is barely on hoping that it would help. I fired up another bator to put the eggs in so when it gets to the right temp in they go.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    sounds like your best bet, the one they are in is being flaky

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yeah, the other one is a home made with a fan. The neighbor was borrowing it so I had to go over to his place and stick them in.

10. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Boy you are a more patent person then I, with that many problems that LG would be on craigs list. I hope your luck changes soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by