Problems with lighting in incubator help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jakrzz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    So I've got the whole homemade styrofoam incubate set up and when I put the thermometer/hygrometer in and checked on it later, it said 109!

It's only a 40 watt white bulb and is on the other side of my incubator.

I've tried aiming the fan at the thermometer, poking good sized holes..

Any ideas? Lower wattage? Thermometer malfunction?

2. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    Do you have a thermostat in your homemade incubator to regulate the temperature?

3. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Well it's just a digital thermostat that measure temp and humidity. I tried venting in many different fashions.. But nothing got it right.
    And inside the incubator itself doesn't feel all that hot, especially not 109! Maybe it's just a faulty thermometer. I'm gonna try a red bulb and see if that works out

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

sounds like a digital thermometer not a thermostat

spend 20 bucks on an stc-1000 thermostat and you will no longer have to worry

check out the bordeax bator in my link below

good luck

5. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    A thermometer/hygrometer measures temp and humidity. A thermostat regulates the temperature. Its sounds like you don't have a thermostat in your incubator. A thermostat would turn the heat source (light bulb in your case) on and off to control the temperature.

6. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Sorry [​IMG] I meant thermometer the whole time.. Idk why I've been saying thermostat!
    But I finally got it under control, turns out my thermometer/hygrometer is 100% accurate with humidity but is off 2-3 degrees. So when it says 103 it's really 100 or 99!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by