Problems with my eggs!!!! HELP

caseybloo

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 15, 2010
I snuck some eggs under my broody chicken 22 days ago. I checked on her yesterday, she was sitting on them. Checked on her today, she was off of them up in the rafters(cooling her tail, maybe:)). Eggs are very poopy, some broken and kicked out. Broke one open seems to be almost fully formed chick inside with bright yellow yolk but dead:(. Put the rest of the eggs under a heat lamp. Any hope??? What might have happened??

Sometimes they just don't make it and if they were poopy, likely contaminated and died that way.

I have a broody at present but broody hens in Phoenix in June, July and August don't usually hatch chicks... it's just too warm. I never worry about how long they are off of the nest if they get off in the afternoon, problem is, when the temp is nearly 110 our eggs get cooked. I'll candle on the 13th to see if any are alive... if not, I'll be trying to broody break her.

It was in the 40's last night and only 70 today in western pa. I figure I'll heat them tonight see what happens and start saving eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom