Problems with my hens laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redbirds, Oct 19, 2014.

1. redbirds

redbirds New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Missouri
    I have 4 hens and 2 roosters in the same coop, 2 of my hens are about 3-4 years old and 2 are about 1-2 years old, the roosters are maybe a year. My hens haven't been laying, this has been going on for a few weeks now. I would say that something was going on a few months ago, they were eating their eggs; I put in fresh ouster shells in a container for them and that seemed to help, they stopped eating them and I was getting like 4 a day then they stopped again and this has been going on for a few weeks now. I have found 2 eggs in the coop this morning that were broken but that is the most I have seen in a few weeks. I have no idea what is going on, thought maybe I had a snake but we haven't seen any evidence of a snake. We live in Mo and the weather is changing as it is also getting dark earlier but they have never just stopped production like this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for listening!

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    2 roosters seems like too many for 4 hens. Could they be over-stressing your girls with mating too often?

3. redbirds

redbirds New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Missouri
    I was wondering if that was possible, the roosters are silkies. Would that make a difference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by