Problems with my new kids

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chart, Mar 5, 2013.

1. chart

chart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    Picked up 11 chicks on Friday. As of yesterday I have lost 4. Although I've raised chicks before, this was quite alarming. You almost expect to lose one, maybe two, but this shocked me. Now I have some with poopy butt and I swear it's hard as rocks! Added oatmeal to feed this morning. I thought it was strange that I lost mostly Blue and Bar Cochins (1 Orpington). I say mostly because I had a Blue (supposedly) that looked so much like the Bars that I couldn't differentiate. They didn't have pasty butt but they seemed to stagger and fall over a lot. Are these particular chickens, Cochins, not as hardy as others? I'm doing all the right things I think. Would love to hear from anyone knowledgeable about these breeds and also how common is it to lose that many of any breed? I've also read about adding molasses to their drinking water somewhere. Plan to look into that. Ever hear of it? Tried it? Except for the PB, all but one that is having to be cleaned frequently, are active. I'm so freaked out about losing more that I'm beside myself! Have looked through the site and found lots about PB but none recent.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would do ACV instead of the molasses, its helps tremendously with the PB. Just a thought, and I'm not sure if your Cochins are bantam or LF, but my LF Cochins-even as babies- didn't tolerate the heat well. I kept them somewhere between 88-90° the first week, not the recommended 95. When I had them at 95° they were panting and crammed as far away from the heat lamp as they could get. That could explain the Orp as well. On the flip side, if they're too cool they could be piling, causing whoever is on the bottom to be squished.
    One more thought, what type of bulb are you using in your brooder? Make sure it doesn't have a teflon coating. When teflon is heated it releases a toxic gas that kills small critters. Teflon bulbs are typically lables shatter resistant and some red bulbs specifically for brooders have the coating :(
    Nikki

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Definitely agree on the heat. Poopy butt is often due to constipation, and a little molasses helps with that, but the ACV is also an excellent thing to do. Be sure your brooder is big enough that they can get away from the heat if they want to. I hadn't heard of the Teflon bulb problem, but it makes sense, as that certainly is true of Teflon. Cooking in a Teflon pan can kill a parrot quickly.

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Some aerosol products commonly used can also cause problems. Things we use that we don't give a second thought can be deadly to animals.

5. chart

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    I guess I don't know what ACV is. I will go to the feed store after I look it up. Thank you. I have 7 in a large dog crate/cage. Plan to divide them up as they grow. Regular light bulb. Thermometer says 80-85 on the opposite side of the cage. They generally hang out and sleep most on the warmer side but they do run all over. I have one Blue/Bar?, 2 Buff Cochins, 1 Buff Orpington and 3 Sicilian Buttercup. I can't believe how much more mature the Buttercups are. They already have a lot of feathers coming in and one of the maniacs has been trying to fly since the second day. All those feathers sure makes it hard to tell what's on the butt! The Blue Cochin looks the most babyish with no real feathers, but seems to have doubled in size overnight. The two that died yesterday were just tiny. I crushed up a little oatmeal with some feed and put it on a plate in there. The Orp found the one piece I didn't break up and the chase was on. Most of it got taken away but he wouldn't let go of that last piece. I had a great stress-relieving laugh. I call him the Orpness Monster. I say he because he spends a lot of time in front of the mirror. I found that the males, like parrots,etc., really like to admire themselves. I've identified two other roosters this way in the past, but not quite as young. Let you know if it's true! I so love these little guys. Great site this is.

6. chart

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    Yep, that's one funky chicken. What a cutie.

7. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    Why would you want to cook a parrot in a teflon pan?

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

Because if you cook them in a regular pan, you have to use lots of oil to keep them from sticking!

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    To the OP, I'm so sorry you're losing chicks. The hard droppings make me think dehydration. I'd offer plain water and try to adjust the heat so the cool side is room temp. Spot lights work better than regular bulbs at containing the heat to a circle.

10. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by