Problems with New Chicks?

Butterflychicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
I have some four week old chicks, I originally had 31, this is my first time with Cornish Cross.

They started in one barn under a heat lamp and starter crumble, then at three weeks I moved them to another barn, with an outdoor area for when they are ready. I also changed their food to a mash. Both foods have been medicated.

I lost one chick in week one, which I kind of expected. I felt quite happy to only loose one. It couldn't walk very well and had heavy breathing.

Now that they are in the new barn, with more space to move I noticed that one of them was not moving. I came back later in the day and noticed that another had also stopped getting up when I came in. All the other birds are quite active and even run at my feet when I walk in.

I have separated these two birds from the rest of the flock as they were being walked all over. One is still eating and drinking and today his poop seems to be back to normal, but still can't stand. I am restricting his food intake and am having to give him water via a dripper.

The first one is still not eating and I am having to feed it water. His poop was pastey but now is very watery and white. His breathing seems normal. I am wondering if there is anything I can do for this bird, or is it best to end it for him. Although he is a meat bird with a short life, I would hate to kill it for no reason and have to throw it away.

I have learnt to restrict their food as they seem to be gannets if left to feed themselves and realise that I may have learnt this a little too late for these two birds. I am wondering if overeating is the problem here, or is there something else I should be aware of?

Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I would suggest you post this under the Medical Emergencies topic of the index. You have people helping there that are more experienced with situations such as this. I'll be thinking of you today and hoping your chicks survive. I don't think it is the food or environmental. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom