Problems with Sussex

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmygoats, Aug 20, 2011.

1. luvmygoats

luvmygoats Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Lubec, Maine
    I was wondering if there are any health issues that the Sussex chickens have that others don't? Last year my Speckled Sussex died out of the blue ay about 4 months old...no signs of any problems, all my other breeds in same pen fine. 3 weeks ago I lost a Coronation Sussex of the same age and again one this week. All the other breeds in area are fine. Please, any help would be appreciated. I really love the Sussex chickens, but I have had no luck thus far with them.

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Do you live where it is extremely hot? I live in TX and 7 of my chickens died this summer from all our 100+ heat [​IMG] But my Speckled Sussex haven't had issues. Did you get them from a breeder or hatchery? Also, how old are they?

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I haven't had any problems with my Speckled Sussex either. I did lose one of my Golden Cuckoo Marans a few days ago, and I'm thinking it was from the heat too!!

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. luvmygoats

luvmygoats Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Lubec, Maine
    I got the Speckled Sussex from one of the hatcheries, the 2 Coronations I hatched out. Each one was 4 months old when they died, but at different times. I am in Maine...not so hot here.

5. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Hmmmm...that's strange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by