Problems with the girls!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tzook, Oct 6, 2013.

1. tzook

tzook Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2013
    I have four chicks that were born in March of 2013, they are healthy and beautiful! My problem started when we had very hot weather and then the next week I had a new deck built in "their" yard. My Buff Orington started keeping to herself in the coop almost all day long and stopped laying. I have taken her to a doc, no parasites, no eggs stuck in her. She suggested I put ice in the nest to cool her vent down. My brown leghorn has decided to pick on her whenever I get her to come out. I have isolated the leghorn twice and she is still so mean and pecks at the Buff. And now none of the flock are laying!! I really am so frustrated! They were all producing and doing good until a few weeks ago!! Any suggestions?

2. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Well heat can cause a loss in egg production instead of isolating the bully try isolating the hen who is getting picked on as for heat if you have dirt in your run instead of sand,shavings etc.. You can spray it down on the dirt so the chickens will atleast keep their feet cool which helps

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Does the hen have any missing feathers or injuries?

4. tzook

tzook Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2013
    No not much, just a few feathers pulled out. She escapes back to the coop. It is not hot anymore( we are in the Pacific NW) Its either rain or sun this last week about 60 to 70 during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by