PROBLEMS with the POST OFFICE and shipping eggs? Email this agency!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rarebear, Mar 11, 2013.

1. rarebear

rarebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have non-stop endless problems whenever I get shipped eggs. I am in Western Northern Carolina but our state's sorting center is in Eastern NC. EVERYTIME I get eggs they sit in the Charlotte sorting center for 2-3 days. I am so sick and tired of hearing my local post office say "Priority mail isn't guaranteed in 2-3 days". I just had a package from 2 states away take five days to get here. Last week I had 2 packages of eggs that say in the Charlotte sorting center for a full 2 days and the other a full 3 days. I was so angry that I wanted to drive to Charlotte, a 1 1/2 hour drive to pick them up. I was told they could not find one package for one person.

This is the agency that watchdogs the USPS. I suggest you report any problems to this email.

[email protected]

2. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I have had the same problem and spent many long hours chewing the United States Postal Service out of the phone. But it does as much good as a flea yelling at an elephant. The bottom line is the USPS is losing money hand over fist and if they were a private owned company they would have gone out of business long ago. They are government organization and thus they do not have to compete with other organizations, like UPS and Fedex. They can provide horrible uncompetitive service and still stay in business, because they are funded by tax dollars.

Here is what I have found is the best way to get eggs shipped through USPS. ONLY ship eggs via Priority Mail on MONDAY! I am not sure why, but it seems that if you ship eggs on Monday they will get through right away.

3. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yes, Mondays are always better. It won't do any good to chew out the post offive as it falls on dead ears. I know as I have done the same for years. That is why I finally found the agency that over sees the PO. I hope a lot of people write. hahah I like the flea yelling at an elephant!

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I don't think this is an issue that we should adress with the USPS. It should be adressed to the Hatchery. After all, they have other methods of shipping our eggs, they just "choose" to use the Postal Service. I would gladly pay the $20 - 30 extra to have my quail eggs shipped by FedEx or UPS Overnite.
    I may be in the minority on this opinion.

5. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    Well, I don't buy from hatcheries, only from breeders and many of these breeders live in very rural areas. I feel that if a fee paid for a promised service it should be fulfilled. Many people on this site have had horrid problems with USPS including me. Since we the customers are the ones paying for the USPS services I fell we have every right to expect what they promise. Breeders that have sent eggs to me have been packaged meticulously. I have paid extra for overnight and the service was just as bad. The Post Office has had many many complaints. If they cannot do the job they advertise then they need to stop offering the service.

6. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I totally agree. If you walk into a post office you will see big signs promoting Priority Mail as a "2 to 3 Days" service. But when your package does not get to it's destination for 5 or 6 days and you call them about it, they will robotically say, "Priority Mail is not a guaranteed service." No where on the promotion sign does it say this, but somewhere in some fine print on their website or something it does. The problem is that we the American people have become so accustom to being lied to and deceived by big companies that we just go along with their stupid excuses. I think what needs to happen is a national "Truth in Advertising" referendum and we need to sues the pants off any company that promotes a product or service they cannot faithfully deliver. I think that we need a law that declares a promotion sign or ad as a legally binding contract that cannot not be undermined by fine print. Basically, don't promote something you cannot truly deliver.

As stands right now, USPS Priority Mail is a 2 to 3 days service that the USPS promotes and you pay a lot more for, but the post office has to obligation to deliver. I don't care what universe you come from; that is just plain wrong! Right and wrong are constants that are unchangeable and are not effected by what is legal or illegal. What Hitler did was legal, but it was still wrong. What the USPS is doing is also wrong, even if it is legal.

7. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    Very weoo said.

8. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    duh, Very well said!

9. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Got a response from the postal service.

"Your inquiry to the Postal Regulatory Commission regarding delayed delivery of Priority Mail was forwarded to me for research and response.

Our research into this issue determined that the Priority Mail package with Tracking # 9405509699939690842112 was delivered on March 22, 2013. We work very hard to offer good service to our customers, and it is genuinely disappointing to hear about instances when we simply do not meet your needs or achieve our service standards. Our operating standard for Priority Mail is 2-3 days, measured from Post Office™ to Post Office™. Due to the economical and competitive rates of Priority Mail we do not provide a guarantee like our Express Mail service, nor can we track shipments as they move through our network. The delivery period you reported is certainly beyond our service standard, and I apologize for the inconvenience you incurred as a result.

The Postal Service™ monitors feedback from customers like yourself, identifying patterns that permit us to take corrective measures in certain areas. Despite your obvious disappointment with this mailing, we assure you it does not reflect our usual service and hope you permit us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you.

Felicia Carter
    Manager, Consumer & Industry Contact
    Fort Worth District
    (817) 317-3626

**Your case has been investigated and a solution has been provided to you. Should you have any additional concerns, please return to www.usps.com to send them to the appropriate office. Please do not reply to this message.** "

Funny thing is, I sent in multiple tracking numbers for items that took over 3 days. This email only addresses one of them and treats it as an isolated incident, where has my complaint email was about multiple events. The thing that really got me is the closing statement; "Your case has been investigated and a solution has been provided to you." Does anyone see a solution offered in this response other then, get use to it. Like I said, they are not going to fix anything and complaining does as much good as a flea shouting at an elephant.

10. postalpoultry

postalpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    Ok I shouldn't do this, but this just burns me!!! I work for usps and that was (im sure you know) the standard blow off letter. What is going on now days at the postal service absolutely SUCKS!!! There is not even enough time in a day for me to tell you all the things wrong with what happened to you!! Makes me furious and there is NOTHING that can be done, as upper management has completely thrown customer service (other than lip service) out the window!
    Have you spoken to your carrier? Why the heck would they DELIVER chicks to you? I work in a rural office, we get chicks on a daily basis, and we would NEVER take them out for delivery!! way to many things could go wrong in that scenario. We call to let you know we have the babies and most people pick them up, because of NUMEROUS reasons. Like we are not equipt to provide the care they need on the route, no heat in mail trucks, nowhere to put them that they won't go flying when you turn, or be smashed by bigger heavier pkg that goes flying ect. Thats not even taking what happens at delivery into consideration! WTH do they just leave em on your porch for any dog around to snack on! This just blows my mind and I have been delivering mail for over 15 yrs. Not to mention that they most certainly CAN track pkgs as they move in system (not as well as we should be able to) but we can tell where they are. That statement was just to try and sell you a high rate like express when you should not need it! What did YOUR postmaster tell you? I have already said to much but please let me know what your carrier and postmaster told you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by