problems with this hatch... could use some help :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WrapChick, Jan 12, 2015.

1. WrapChick

WrapChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    So I am on about my 6th hatch since I have gotten my incubator and Hatcher. Other than problems with one chick I have done very well and had 95% hatches. I'm having trouble now with a group of 22 eggs. One was born with what looks like its insides on the outside. After reading the thread about all of the possible problems and reasons they may be happening, it looks like the chick was pushing too hard trying to get out of the egg. I did end helping a couple of chicks hatch because they pipped and then about 18 hours later I could see they both were struggling. When I took them out to check them I could see that they were shrink wrapped just as I had read about, and also the outer membrane was very thick. Those are doing fine now. We had to put the chick down that had its insides out and I was torn up over it all night. I had to have my husband do it. It seems the rest of the eggs are late but now are starting to pip. I do have another chick in there that seems to have the same issue with a small amount of insides on the outside.I also have one other chick that seems to have a hurt leg like he wants to keep holding it up. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if I have done something wrong or what the explanation could be. I did notice that my humidity had dropped down to about 40% for several hours although I'm not sure why that happened because nothing has changed in my water levels that I normally have in there. I have probably htched over 150 chicks and they have all been wonderful and perfect except for one so this is really concerning me. :((

2. WrapChick

Oct 9, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]Here are some pictures of the chick's foot problem :(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  3. WrapChick

Oct 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. WrapChick

Oct 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. WrapChick

Oct 9, 2014
    Please look at photos.... not sure if there is anything i can do. :( I don't think splitting will help bc the foot looks turned the wrong direction. He won't put any weight on it but will hop around some. I hate to put him down if there is something I can do to help it but if it is destined for a hard life or in pain I need to know :(

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have absolutely no experience with leg problems, but looking at the pics, it look more like a "knee" (do they call them hocks?) problem than a foot problem. Almost as though the joint is dislocated and he can't straighten it. I know there's a big difference between chickens and humans but I dislocated my knee twice and it hurts like.... you know....when it's put back in place, but after, the pain goes away. I wonder if that is maybe what the chick is experiencing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by