Problems with urinary incontinent dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Pupsnpullets, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    My lab mix had a serious neck injury a few years ago which resulted in some damage to the spinal cord. She's lucky to be alive and most definitely lucky to be as healthy as she is now at 9 years old. However, she's started leaking when she sleeps. It used to be a dribble but now I getting floods. [​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to deal with this. She sleeps in my room so crinkly plastic isn't going to work for me. It need something that's both quite absorbent and waterproof.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think they make doggie diapers for this sort of thing.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    A friend here at work had a dog that was quite old and began having this issue - her vet prescribed something, I'm unsure what it was, but it completely eliminated the problem. BEST of luck; glad your girl made it through the neck injury!!

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Ask your vet about Proin or any other type of spay incontinence drug. From what I've heard from friends it works great.
    But in the meantime I'd suggest incontinence wraps for female dogs.

You can also get estrogen injections for her to tighten up the sphincters but she'll think she's in heat. We did that for one of our bassets and for a month everyone was having a hump-a-thon [​IMG] But afterward either her body adjusted properly and just needed a kick in the right direction or she learned some muscle control or something because she's been fine since. Before she was leaking everywhere, almost all the time.

5. bethinoklahoma

bethinoklahoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    do try and see a vet... I know of belly bands are like a diaper for male dogs... A friend of mine did get away with no water after 3pm and two belly bands at night and outside during the day....

6. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:Oh, thanks for that Jody. I'd read your earlier post and the calculater was going cha ching, cha ching at the cost of all those diapers. I always embrace the green option.

7. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    My sweet yellow lab started to have that problem right after we had her spayed. Just like you said, it went from just a little leaking to flooding. Anyway after going to about 3 different vets for opinions, one vet finally gave us about a prescription drug that worked incredibly. It has been about 7 years ago and my lab has since passed on so I can't remember the name of it, but it definitely works.

8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    There are also many herbal remedies for incontinence in dogs:

Couch Grass: Specific for sphincter rehabilitation.
    Horsetail: Assists in strengthening wasted or damaged tissue.
    Comfrey: Speeds up healing even of old trauma.
    Mugwort: Supports repair of nerve fibers along with the herbs above.
    Saw Palmetto: Specific for muscle wastage and lack of tone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by