Problems with week old chick's legs...please help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by perolane, Aug 29, 2010.

1. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I'm completely at a loss as to what's happening here...I hope someone can help.

Our last batch of bobwhites...at about 1 week old, about 10 of the 100 chicks started developing a thickening & hard swelling of the legs. It starts at the ankle (just above the foot)...on some, it's confined to that area, others it extends all the way up the leg to where the feathers start. It's very hard , the leg is stiff & dark, & is apparently very painful. On some, it gets to the point where it's so swollen, it starts to crack open...& then you know what the other chicks do then...horrible.

I have applied every sort of ointment imaginable & antibiotics in the drinking water. We lost 6...the rest got slowly better with the antibiotics...it just disappears without a trace or limp remaining.

They are in a brooder with heat lamp, on paper towels for the first 2 weeks & I keep it very clean. Always fresh water available & eating medicated game bird starter mash.

When we moved them out of the brooder...I discenfected it thoroughly with 100% bleach, rinsed, & let dry in the sun. It was empty for 2 weeks.

We just hatched Butlers that are now 5 days old....today I see we have 2 with the big ankles.

Does anyone know what this is??? How do I prevent it??? I can't find info on anything even similar to this anywhere. I probably need to get some pics, but by the time I get home from work it's already dark. Anybody familiar with this?? JJ??

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    paper towels aren't really a good liner since the bird can slip and hurt themselves. Could the ankles be sprained???? I suggest using a nice soft bedding like pine or even pellet bedding

3. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    No, this is much more than a sprain. The affected area is 3 times larger than the usual size....and usually just one leg affected.

I first thought we had toe pecking going on...but there are no "peck marks" or any breaks in the skin.

We've used Viva paper towels for years with hundreds of quail chicks without problems (they have a rough "grippy"surface).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by