Problems with young hen trying to lay

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaiSmith, Jan 10, 2017.

1. MaiSmith

MaiSmith Just Hatched

Jan 9, 2017
    (This was yesterday)

Please advice! Our cream legbar hen has gone very quiet and is slowly walking around the garden acting mysterious. We only have two hens, her and her sister. Her sister is walking around with her accompanying her, but she is okay and hasn't started laying yet. I am very concerned because she is normally a very hyper and dominant chicken. She became quiet and weird immediately after laying her third egg. I don't think she is egg bound because she just became this way suddenly after she popped an egg. I don't think she has any illnesses either, her comb is bright red and tall and healthy, she just switched and wasn't like it before. A few weeks ago she ate a hair tie, could that be it? She is eating, drinking and foraging as normal, but normally she comes running up to us when we go to their area. When we called them over, she would normally run really fast and flap around, but now she comes very carefully and slowly after her sister. Please advise me as to what to do as we are not experts on chickens and are very concerned for her. Thank you very much. :-(

(Update today)

She has been trying to lay all morning and seems to be in some amount of pain, but she is now acting perfectly normal when she's not attempting to lay and is still eating/drinking fine. Any further advice? Thank you ever so much!

(Update next day)

She has laid an egg in the nest box but is now just sitting in the bedroom, she is not eating and when I stroked her she didn't even react, please could someone help, I am starting to really worry. She seems to be in a lot of pain.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. MaiSmith

MaiSmith Just Hatched

Jan 9, 2017
    Thank you for being so helpful and kind.

3. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    It takes a while for new layers to work out all the kinks. Often they will sit on the nest and not lay anything, this is normal too. Keep us updated and good luck!

4. MaiSmith

MaiSmith Just Hatched

Jan 9, 2017
    Thank you very much, I will keep my eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by