Problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lacy06076, Aug 28, 2014.

1. lacy06076

lacy06076 New Egg

Jun 23, 2014
    Alberta
    I am new a chickens and my hens just started laying eggs about 3 days ago and there eggs have a little blood in them. Is that normal? Also I went into my coop this morning and found my rooster trying to eat the egg and I got there a little to late.[​IMG] But when ever there is eggs there in no hens near the eggs so how do I find out what hen is laying.[​IMG] any advise. and Thanks

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The blood is normal for new layers. As far as the rooster eating the eggs, maybe it was soft or one of the hens accidentally broke it?

Unless you trap nest (a trap nest is a nest box with a door and trigger, the door closes when they go in, sort of like a Have-a-Heart trap), you'll just have to catch them in the act.

Good luck!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Another idea to figure out who laid the egg would be to drop some food dye into their vents. Use a different color for each hen. When the egg comes out, it'll have a streak of dye on it. And then you'll know who laid it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by