Procedure for chicks under broody??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lesa, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I am getting chicks next week. For the past couple weeks one of my older gals has been trying to hatch a golf ball. So, I thought I would set up a small broody coop and put three of the new chicks under her. I would be feeding chick starter- should I put layer pellets in there for her or can she eat the starter?? What are the pros and cons of this idea? I know some of you have done it. I told my DD this idea and she said "Mom, you are the only farmer in the world that would think of that". Thanks!

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    She can eat the starter. I keep my broody in the main coop separated with chicken wire in a area ... I haven't had any problems introducing the new chicks that way as they see them from day one and just get accustomed to them.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    She won't lay until she's finished caring for the chicks, so starter is fine for her, too.

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Until recently, I've hatched all my eggs in styrofoam, and then I stuff chicks under anybody who's broody at the time. BTW, is the chicken in your avatar photo wearing the same kind of hat as you are? That's adorable!

5. Lesa

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    What is the most amount of chicks you have given to broody? I presume they wouldn't hatch more than 5 or 6??

6. Lesa

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hey, catwalk. The chicken is a polish (RIP), so yes she is wearing the same kind of hat I am! Her's is just more natural!

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    So YOU"RE wearing the same hat that SHE is! That's even better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by