Process age on Muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vfem, May 18, 2011.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I was planning on buying Ranger chicks to do some meat birds this year, then my muscovy goes and sits on some eggs unexpectedly so I think we're going to wait on the rangers and raise the ducklings for meat. I don't have room for anymore ducks to just eat and forage the property, plus I was told muscovy/pekin cross birds will be sterile and I won't get any eggs to make it worth it.

So, at what age would I process these ducks for a good tender meat? (I don't know how many will hatch, but she's sitting on what appears to be 9 eggs. Hard to tell since she's under my neighbor's deck and I can barely get my head under to look.)

2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I don't know the answer but I'm interested also. I currently have 42 Muscovy ducklings from 3 days old to 4 1/2 weeks old running around. Way too many.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:They will lay eggs like any duck you just can't hatch them, I have a few crosses and they are very good layers.

5. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
  6. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thank you for that info, looks like I will have Hinnies then... and will probably end up in the freezer anyways. I only have the 1 muscovy female and all my other ducks and drakes are pekins. They do free range 24/7 so that's a good thing to know I can possibly get more eggs, and no more babies. But since I have to 'easter hunt' for eggs anyways.... I prefer to know the one's I find are fertile for when I want to hatch.

So I will be catching these little ducklings (probably in the next few days as we're at about 30 days, give or take a day) and housing them to fatten up!

I guess I will just have to watch breast size to determine the time to process. [​IMG]

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by