Process at 6 weeks 5 days or 8 weeks 2 days

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mainemomof2, May 23, 2010.

1. mainemomof2

mainemomof2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Hello,
    This is my first year with meat birds. I was given two possible days by the processor. They could do it when the birds are 6 weeks 5 days old or when they are 8 weeks 2 days old.

We have 25 Cornish rocks.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

2. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I had mine processsed at exactly 8 weeks. Out of 15, I had 13 make it to processing. One was a small female, whom I am sure was smothered by the other chickens and the 2nd died a few days before butchering, of a heart attack, it had been struggling for awhile. I would definitely suggest the 8wk 2 day, if you are looking for a larger chicken. Mine dressed out between 4.5lbs and 7.75lbs, very large, delish chickens [​IMG] Thinking back to mine around 6wks, there is definitely a difference in weight. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    8 weeks 2 days

[​IMG]

5. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote for the 8 weeks too, but I also feed a family of 5 with one bird. This year I am trying to hold out for 10 weeks to get some small turkey sized birds (the kids are all teens and can eat more than in years past [​IMG] )

6. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    you would probably be happier with the results at 8 weeks - they gain pretty good the last couple of weeks, just be careful with the feed - i cut mine back to about 10 hours feed - 14 hours none.
    Good Luck!

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Ditto on the eight weeks. If it is getting hot just put a fan on them. [​IMG]

8. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm on week seven and today it is 90 degrees, high humidity, and 30 mph winds. Poor fatties. Those plump fatties.... i'm getting hungry for chicken!!

9. rwwjsw

rwwjsw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I got 6 last year by mistake they were suppose to be White Leghorns I got them in May I lost 2 both around July I harvested them in Sept. I cut one up for a fryer gave 1 to my brother and baked the other 2. My brother and I both cooked 1 at thanksgiving. The birds were about 20lbs in size for the roosters and about 15lbs for the hens. I had to wrap them in plastic wrap and then place them in trash bags to freeze them could not find any local freezer bag that they would fit in. They were just as good as any turkey I have ever eaten. So this year I am planning on letting mine go a little longer than the 8 week mark I would like to get them about 8 to 10 lbs and I am also going to let several go 3 to 4 months again for a super roaster.

10. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I'd say 8 weeks 2 days. I am going to pick up my meaties today from the processors. I let them go to exactly 9 & 10 weeks. I backed off on the 24% protein at 6 weeks of age and switched to an 18% protein. They were hefty still, but didn't have any leg issues or heart attacks -- I didn't loose any (only had 11). It has been very warm here the past couple of days and they seemed to do fine. They were still quite energetic and would run around. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by