Process to put a Few days old baby chicks under a hen

rzeidan1

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
I got 2 bantam hens 2 weeks ago and I’m thinking of one of the hens adopt a store bought chick. How the process works. Also can that hen eat chick starter with the chick. Also is it ok for the hen with the chick stay in in the coop while my other hen is out

First one of your hens should be dedicated and have sat on fake eggs or golf balls for the natural 3 week period.
Then at night remove the fake eggs and place the day old chicks under her. By morning they should be bonded family.
Yes, the broody can eat the chick starter. Its healthy for her.
Not understanding your question about hens outside.

I got 2 bantam hens 2 weeks ago and I’m thinking of one of the hens adopt a store bought chick. How the process works. Also can that hen eat chick starter with the chick. Also is it ok for the hen with the chick stay in in the coop while my other hen is out

If the hen is broody and accepts the chicks, she may choose to stay in the coop for a few days while the other bird goes out. She will know when the chick is ready to go out, I believe. But if the hen is not already acting broody, do not try to give it chicks, she will probably try to kill it.

If the hen is broody and accepts the chicks, she may choose to stay in the coop for a few days while the other bird goes out. She will know when the chick is ready to go out, I believe. But if the hen is not already acting broody, do not try to give it chicks, she will probably try to kill it.

First one of your hens should be dedicated and have sat on fake eggs or golf balls for the natural 3 week period.
Then at night remove the fake eggs and place the day old chicks under her. By morning they should be bonded family.
Yes, the broody can eat the chick starter. Its healthy for her.
Not understanding your question about hens outside.
Thanks and the other question is why one of my chickens scream a lot even there is no predators around

Back
Top Bottom