"processed" 1 rooster today

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
It was pretty horrible. I wanted to get rid of him, but everything went wrong. 2 hens flew over the fence while we were trying to catch him. Luckily, they came back later.
But my dh didn't use a sharp enough knife, and I think the rooster suffered. It bothers me every time I think about it. I hope I never have to experience that again.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm preparing to process 25 cornish x's in a few weeks. I'm glad you posted here because I want you to know that others can learn from your experience and avoid certain pitfalls. I'll be sure to have a sharp knife and I've been keeping the meat birds conditioned to come to me by hand feeding them small amounts of grapes from time to time.

I've purposely not gotten attached to them and none of them have names.

Now if this were my layer flock I'd have a really hard time. I have one roo that I'll need to cull this fall as well and I've made it a point to pick each of the chickens from that flock up daily so they are used to me and won't think anything is different when it comes time to do the deed.

So I'm sorry you had a bad experience but at least your experience will help to prevent the same occurrence from happening with other flocks.

Dan

hugs.gif
Awww, I'm sorry for the problems you had. Each session keeps getting easier for me, I always learn something new to make the next session go even better. Let's hope the same will be true for you.

I always put my "candidates" in a cage the night before so they won't have access to food, not even grass, for 12 hours before they're processed. This way it's easier to catch them when it's dark & they're oblivious on their roosts. And it's also easier to snag them out of the cage when it's their time to go. I just use a wire rabbit cage, & make sure they can't reach the grass, but do make sure they have all the water they want. Another benefit is that their crops & intestines are empty, almost, when they're cleaned out.

And you know that chickens do a lot of reflexive flipping & flapping after they're dead, they may look like they're having a bad time but it's really just their reflexes. Having nice sharp knives IS helpful, but perhaps your bird didn't suffer as much as you think.

I hope you can get some tasty meals from him after all.

Reading all of this helps me tremendously. Thank you. He probably did not suffer at all.. Live and learn. Your DH did his best and will learn from his mistakes. I am going to have to give away my rooster meat for a spell because they all have names and I am attached. I might be able to stash them and mix them in with other meat and maybe forget who is who..... I am planning on building a Roo Pen out back for the roos to live alone with eachother while they grow. No other chicks (who after the feather test) are known roos will ever be named again. This is a hard farming reality and we can do it. It is ok and it is part of life...

Last edited:
people have to know that processing a bird, can be very hard to a beginner. you have to do your home work and figure what method you are going to use and what tools you will need. things will go smoother.

The first couple of times that I processed chickens, it was really tough. It's true that it gets easier. Now I can even eat the chickens myself instead of preparing them only for my daughter!

Suzy

The last time we butchered a rooster, SO also used a knife that wasn't sharp enough. I read on here or BYC forum about using pruners to do the deed. It is beginning to sound awfully good to me.

hugs.gif
The more you do it the better you will get at it. You learn from mistakes made and get better and faster each time. THen, you can do it with your eyes closed
wink.png

Good luck with future ones!

I think you did a good job for your first go round!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom