Processed a few of my 8 week CX (with pics)

Bubblegum85

Chirping
Dec 18, 2020
Processed 10 of our CX this week. To help keep them healthy-ish we fed 12 on/12 off and let them free range to get them moving. We lost 2 during week 7 and 8 they literally just died so we rushed to process half of them. They weren't nearly as big as I've seen some be at 8 weeks which I'm ok with. I just wanted to share a pic of them all vacuum sealed after an ice bath and then resting in the fridge for 48 hours. The rigor mortis is no joke but after 48 hours they were flexible.
Quartering them was so much easier compared to store bought whole chickens.
First right after the ice bath, their legs we're sticking straight up:
IMG_20210301_171548993.jpg

And here they are all vacuum sealed, we don't have a deep freezer and quartering and vacuum sealing saved a ton of space. IMG_20210303_213343599.jpg

I am saving the carcasses to make broth to mix with my dog's food so nothing is going to waste.
I don't think I would want to raise CX any more for meat, I will be sticking to a dual purpose bird instead.
These birds were loved and spoiled the entire time. I am so grateful to them for providing the family with sustenance.
IMG_20210206_155117936.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!

Did you happen to weigh the vacuum sealed bags?
Yes the smallest came in at 14.8 oz (almost a lb) and the largest at 1 lb 9 oz.
I separated the wings so it's just the weight of the breast, thighs, and legs.
I have 13 girls left, 3 of them are runts but the other 10 are bigger than the first batch so those will go get processed in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_092059545.jpg
    IMG_20210304_092059545.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes the smallest came in at 14.8 oz (almost a lb) and the largest at 1 lb 9 oz.
I separated the wings so it's just the weight of the breast, thighs, and legs.
I have 13 girls left, 3 of them are runts but the other 10 are bigger than the first batch so those will go get processed in a week.
cornish are great meatbirds because they don’t make much noise and can yield a lot of meat relatively fast. i free feed mine and typically process the males at 10 weeks and females at 12 weeks. my batch last fall processed whole were huge!! (we could barely tell them from our turkeys in the freezer) i use country roads meatbird feed from RK and give scratch with dried mealworms and greek yogurt treats.

Back
Top Bottom