Processed a Muscovy today. GRAPHIC pic/description UPDATE

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jdywntr, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Ugh. What a chore. It took me a while to accomplish especially since after getting him on the chopping block, I hesitated and could not bring myself to use the meat cleaver like I had planned. I decided to run inside and get the hatchet I had originally bought for this purpose because I would be further removed than with the cleaver. Again, I had second thoughts and hesitated. Then I thought I'll just slit the throat. My knife, though new, would not get through the feathers. So back to the chopping block. About 15-20 minutes have gone by. Finally, I work up my courage and my worst fears happened. I didn't swing hard enough and did not chop so I quickly swing again. The head was still attached (completely) but I had somehow severed an artery. So, I hung him over a bucket and grabbed my knife and basically sawed through the other side.

I let him hang for a few minutes, he didn't bleed as much as I thought he would so I went ahead and cut off his head with shears. Still not much more bleeding. I dry plucked some of him and then into the scalder. Hand plucking was not that bad. It took me about 35 minutes but I did not pluck the wings. I tried but they were VERY difficult so I gave up and figured I'd just cut them off. Unfortunately, he was also molting so LOTS of pin feathers but they came out pretty easy too. Oh the down. [​IMG]

I then chucked him into a cooler and ran inside to double check the eviseration site. That went pretty easy, I didn't cut/burst anything. Alot of blood though. It looked like one of the arteries in his neck had clotted so he did not bleed out completely.

I rinsed him well and put him into an ice water filled cooler.

So, he didn't bleed out completely. Is this going to be a problem?

Also, I could not get every speck of lung out. Those thing shredded like mad. Will this be a problem when cooked? I plan on roasting him for Thanksgiving.

[​IMG]
    On the breast there are some reddish areas though they seem to be disappearing. Blood?

I have some finishing up to do. There are some pin feathers to pull and a bit of down on the breast but I think it will be easier to pick when dry.

UPDATE on page 2 [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Anyone have answers or opinions on these questions?

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Ducks taken by hunters rarely get bled out so I don't see any real problem there. A bit of lung left in a roasted bird wouldn't seem to be an issue either.

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    Oh boy...I have no answers, only the same questions...I have an excess of Muscovy drakes I am going to have to do something with...processing them for the freezer is last on the list...I dread it, but I simply can not keep all the boys...they are not fighting...yet...

5. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thank you.

Duck Walk- I also have excess drakes. You could certainly rehome them but whoever takes them may process them anyway. For me, the killing was the hardest part. After that it was fine. I had planned on processing 2 but with the problems I had I wanted to work out the kinks before I try again.

7. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    looks a nice bird what age and size was he

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    He was almost 5 months I think and his processed weight was 4.8 lbs (without wings)

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Next time flush the cavity out with a high pressure spray, such as from a garden house. There is still plenty of time to do this.

I use one of these, but that is overkill for your needs.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/lungremover-waterflush.aspx

That's what we do. We flush out with a garden hose.

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Next time flush the cavity out with a high pressure spray, such as from a garden house. There is still plenty of time to do this.

I use one of these, but that is overkill for your needs.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/lungremover-waterflush.aspx

That's what we do. We flush out with a garden hose.

Today I got in there again and I think I got all of the lungs out. I used a hose but just rinsed without pressure. This was a great learning experience for me though. I know of a few things that I will change next time.

I again want to thank everyone on BYC that provided info and feedback. I wouldn't have had the guts to do it without BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by