Processed a turkey and discovered green discoloration around breast.

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I processed a turkey yesterday and noticed there was a greenish color between the wing and the breast of the turkey. I searched the internet all over and the only thing I could find is a theory saying it will happen if the bird flaps it's wings a lot. My turkey was really big and he had a hard time entering and exiting the coop.. he would flap like crazy sometimes so it sort of makes sense. The other theory was gangrene but it doesn't look like that to me.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I throw the turkey away? I was thinking of letting him chill in the fridge a few days and giving him the sniff test on Christmas morning. If it smells bad or strange I will probably not cook him. I was also thinking maybe cutting out a chunk where I saw the greenish color. I really don't want to get sick but I would hate to have my turkey go to waste. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Bruising on chickens and turkeys can result in a greenish discoloration of the skin. I'm not certain what is going on in this situation with your bird. If the discoloration is not extensive and does not involve the meat -----------------------------

Back
Top Bottom