Processed chickens today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LilyD, Oct 1, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    So today we processed 63 chickens. It was my first day helping outside with the actual gutting and I think I did really well. We had 6 people there and we started at about 9:30 and were done by about 5pm. Not bad for so many.

Out of those birds 57 were Cornish X and 6 were Gold Comet roosters. While the Comets weren't as meaty for the breasts they had more breast meat than I thought they would. Their legs and thighs were large but there was less breast meat on them. Still had breast meat just not as thick.

I had my first bad Cornish X too. As I was cutting up one of the cleaned chickens into parts for the freezer I found a large green tumor in the breast meat. It looked kind of like asparagus but right inside the breast tissue. I threw out the breast because I wasn't sure if it was safe to eat. The tumor was about the size of half a dollar bill and it was on both sides of the breast spread through the breast bone.

All in all a great day but now I am done. Tomorrow I will make stock from my necks and backs, can't wait to get that done.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by