processed first birds today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by erinszoo, Oct 15, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    So at 25 days old we processed two of our cornish x for game hens. They were both 2 lbs 1 oz live weight and 1 1/2 pounds dressed weight. We didn't do the best job ever plucking them so I'll still have to singe some feathers tomorrow before we cook them but when they are that small it's hard to pluck out the feathers. The dark red stuff on the far left side of the bowl is the liver and heart (the innards we like to munch on) from both birds. We were so surprised that their hearts were as big if not bigger than full grown chickens we've done before.

Resting them off food for 12 hours before we processed was a great idea as only one of them had a little poo left in their bowel. Bleeding them out took forever though ... smaller blood vessels I guess. From start to finish ie. from the time we started getting all the materials and buckets and knives together to the time we had them in ice water was about 1 1/2 hours. Not bad for our first go round.

[​IMG]

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Good for you, erinszoo. Perhaps the scalding water wasn't quite hot enough, but that's no big deal. I'm sure they'll taste delicious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by