1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Processed my first bird today.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by alicefelldown, Nov 29, 2009.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Processing this bird was the hardest thing I think I've ever had to do. Watched SOOOO MANY videos, read so many threads on it, and still felt like I had no clue when I had to do the actual plucking and gutting. Took HOURS. I guess next time I'll be a bit more 'prepared' so to speak. Also? Lungs feel really gross!!

Not a meatie, but here he is, in a 6qt crock-pot, waiting for his buttermilk bath. Haven't weighed him yet. Going to be roasted tomorrow and turned into potpies.

[​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] All right! Ya did GOOD! [​IMG]

He looks nice & clean and it's apparent you cut the legs neatly in just the right place between the joint. A lot of beginners can't find that sweet spot and cut through & splinter those bones. There's always something to learn each time you process to make the next session go easier & faster.

Since that bird is skinnless perhaps next time you'll skip the plucking & just skin them instead. I know a good YouTube video for that if you're interested. How did you dispatch this one? Will you use that method again?

[​IMG] Enjoy your WELL-EARNED meal! [​IMG]

3. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Thanks!!

Re: the legs - I got frustrated trying to get inside the bird and snapped the leg joints to make more space. Made cutting them off a breeze.

Question though - what are you supposed to do with the wings??? I couldn't pluck them all the way, and eventually gave up and snapped/hacked them off and threw 'em in the 'gross bucket'. Maybe next time...

Also the neck - I didn't have sharp enough scissors and it was a real pain to remove it. If I get better scissors will it come off as easy as the people on youtube seem to make it look?

I'd love to see a good skinning video - the few I saw on youtube looked really difficult.

Next time, there will be a brand new super sharp knife set with a big bow on it for me or I'm not butchering or processing. This one, unfortunately, ran out of time and his 'obsession' with one of the hens could no longer be tolerated.

4. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Well, keep doing whatever you did with the legs this time, you got great results!

As for the wings, do as much work as you think that part deserves. Some folks will labor to salvage every bit, others just cut off the wingtips, and still others will whack them off at the shoulders & call it a good day's work. If you're plucking, just make sure the water is hot enough to open even those wing pores. In fact, that's a test that your bird is thoroughly scalded, when you can easily pull out those wing edge feathers. If you're skinning you'll need to cut through that edge to get the skin off.

A great YouTube video on chicken skinning is it shows a good method for gutting too.

I agree, good sharp knives & scissors are essential! They needn't be large or long, just good & sharp. It might be better to ask Santa for a quality knife sharpener before asking him for good knives. I found these scissors: http://www.joycechen.com/jc/common/index.php?lng=ENG&div=BB&nav=BB&page=B12 at the grocery store and they work very very well for cutting through necks, legs, and skin.

5. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Thanks for that video, 500 times better than the skinning ones I'd been watching. Gosh that bird is sooooo much bigger than the one I did today, I guess that's something to look forward to if I go down this path.

6. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I find that the trick to getting to the right place in a chicken's joints is to cut straight into the crease from the inside of the bend. http://www.recipezaar.com/How-to-Cut-up-a-Chicken-232601

Poultry shears and kitchen scissors vary widely in quality. My favorites are Trauma Shears http://www.amazon.com/Trauma-Shears-RESCUE-TRAUMA-SHEARS/dp/B000FOOVM4 They'll cut anything. Though the end protector on the lower blade gets in the way of some things and you'll eventually spring the joint going through bone and have to replace them.

7. Puck-Puck

Puck-Puck Chillin' With My Peeps

Alice, I feel your pain! [​IMG]
    I butchered my first bird on Thursday, to put her out of everyone else's misery...she was mean (red rock cross). I will also have a set of sharp knives with a bow on them, next time, even if I have to buy those knives and put the bow on them, myself! I, uh, used wire cutters on the neck and to remove the feet, as that was what I had available, that was up to the job. Next time, we'll both know what not to do. [​IMG]
    Bon appetit!

8. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Here he is, just out of the oven, cooling down to be shredded for potpies.

Don't mind the knife slits, my meat thermo is a bit wonky.

[​IMG]

9. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Hold on, I'll be right over! [​IMG]

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A tip on removing lungs- get a tomato/strawberry huller. You can pick one up for about $1.50 at a kitchen store. They work EXACTLY like a $30 lung scraper, and you never have to touch the lungs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by