Processed my first rooster - mistakes

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wendamus, Sep 24, 2012.

1. wendamus

wendamus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    I did my first intentional processing today. I made lots of mistakes, let me share.

1: Knife was not nearly sharp enough. Next time, utility knife or exacto.

2: My homemade killing cone wouldn't fit his head. I was sitting there with him trapped under one arm while I expanded the hole. Twice.

3: I didn't know to let the meat sit for a couple days, so it was tough.

4: I couldn't find the artery. This might have been due to the poor knife? I finally bit the bullet and chopped the whole head off, because he was bleeding and scared but not bleeding fast. I felt awful.

5: Plucking took me longer than I thought.

6: Cutting around the vent was not clear, I couldn't figure out where exactly it was.

7: Lungs - how do you tell if they're all gone? We roasted him, and bubbly red came out. Is that a sign I missed some?

My dogs liked the head, feet, wingtips and guts. What do you do with the feathers?

Thanks!

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Watch this, it helped me a lot
    only feed your dogs the edible parts of the chicken like heart feet etc. Do not feed him the intestines he will get sick. Next time you process a chicken I would suggest cutting open the bird down the backbone so you can see everything like lungs etc so you know where they are and what they look like. You don't have to do this everytime you process but just for educational purposes

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    1. I had this problem too and finally bit the bullet and bought a knife from havalon called piranta edge. I will never go back. It's like a knife/scalpel but the blade is a knife blade. I have done more than 20 birds and just had to change the blades finally at the end which is okay because the knife comes with extra blades.

2. Now that you fixed the kill cone it should be fine for the future so that shouldn't be a problem for the future.

3. Now that you know you can rest the meat until it moves easily. I put them in the fridge in some brining water with my seasonings. (1gallon water to 1/2 cup of salt plus whatever seasonings you like.

4. I also had problems with this. The way that I can find it now is to find the jaw ling and make the cut right below the ear here, but on both sides. If you cut both sides it takes only a few moments for the bird to pass out peacefully.

5. My first birds took me over 40 minutes plucking by hand the last ones I did took my right around 10 minutes. The secret is to get your water hot enough 145 to 150 degrees and swish the bird until the tail or wing feathers pull out since they are the toughest ones to pull. It takes a while to get good at it but with practice it gets easier trust me.

6. Find the point of the breast and go about 1/2 an inch below to make your first cut that way you are sure to be above anything you shouldn't cut. Then once you have a hole you can get your fingers into you work down the sides and around. I take the tail as well when I do this and it really helps me to make sure and get everything without cutting the intestines.

7. The lungs are definitely a learning curve lol. I get my fingers in between the ribs and scrape them out on both sides but it definitely has to be done with feel and that too will come with time. The more birds you do the better you will be at being able to tell if you have gotten it all or not.

I feed my dog the edible insides as well but he likes his cooked lol. What a spoiled doggy.

Congrats on your first process. Your next one will go smoother since you are taking time thinking how to make it better.

4. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    HOLY Smokes he is fast! LOL!

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Bury the feathers in the compost pile!

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    My first went horribly wrong to but now im better at it.
    I gave my dogs the inners not the intestines and stuff i gave my cats the neck. :)
    You will get better. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by