Processed our first New Hampshire s today

imacowgirl2

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
south central IL
Processed 3 New Hampshires today, 2 hens and a rooster. I guess probably technically 2 pullets and a cockerel, since they were 13 weeks old. Live weight on the roo was 9.3 lbs and the hens were 6.5 lbs and 7 lbs. Dressed weights were 3.2, 3.5 and 5.8. That seems like a large loss, bit I did use two different scales for weights (couldn't find my fish scale back that I used for live weights last night).

Processing was much easier than expected - since I don't use the skin, and I cook them in the pressure cooker, we opted to skin them instead of scald and pluck. Took us about 2.5 hours total including setup and cleanup and we averaged 20-30 mins or bird for the actual cleaning. As long as I like the taste and texture of the meat, we will be doing a couple groups of them next year.

I really liked the way these things grew -- I think in the future the two big changes I will make will be to not let them free range (the hens did, the roo didn't) and to feed them meat bird crumbles the whole time...these only got meat birds crumbles the last 2-3 weeks because I didn't even think about feeding meat bird crumbles until about that time, when I read about it here on BYC. I will also give the hens an extra week or two in the future, unless the previous changes cause the hens to grow faster (I'm not sure if the roo was that much bigger due to being a male or lack of free ranging or both... I'm guessing some combination of both).

Processed 3 New Hampshires today, 2 hens and a rooster. I guess probably technically 2 pullets and a cockerel, since they were 13 weeks old. Live weight on the roo was 9.3 lbs and the hens were 6.5 lbs and 7 lbs. Dressed weights were 3.2, 3.5 and 5.8. That seems like a large loss, bit I did use two different scales for weights (couldn't find my fish scale back that I used for live weights last night).

Processing was much easier than expected - since I don't use the skin, and I cook them in the pressure cooker, we opted to skin them instead of scald and pluck. Took us about 2.5 hours total including setup and cleanup and we averaged 20-30 mins or bird for the actual cleaning. As long as I like the taste and texture of the meat, we will be doing a couple groups of them next year.

I really liked the way these things grew -- I think in the future the two big changes I will make will be to not let them free range (the hens did, the roo didn't) and to feed them meat bird crumbles the whole time...these only got meat birds crumbles the last 2-3 weeks because I didn't even think about feeding meat bird crumbles until about that time, when I read about it here on BYC. I will also give the hens an extra week or two in the future, unless the previous changes cause the hens to grow faster (I'm not sure if the roo was that much bigger due to being a male or lack of free ranging or both... I'm guessing some combination of both).
Wow! Those weights are basically the same as my rainbow rangers were at 11 weeks. Seems like the way to go if they turn out to be good layers too.

You get more value out of feeding the meatbird crumble to begin with than adding it at the end :)
Yep, I realize that...it just never occurred to me to feed them meat bird crumbles at all until I ran across a post mentioning it a few weeks ago (not sure why lol) so I started them on it as soon as I thought of it, to get any remaining benefit I could -- the next ones will be on it from the start 😁

I raise my Heritage meatbirds like I raise CornishX - in confinement - no free range. I start the first two weeks on Gamebird Starter 28% protein and thereafter 22% meatbird crumble to processing. My experience has been that they can finish at 12-13 weeks with weights just a little above yours, but my dressed weight is greater than yours. I believe the higher protein produces more muscle, hence the greater weight. Avg.dressed weight to live generally is around 70-72% - mine is closer to 75%. So your 9.3lb cockerel would finish right around 6.75-6.9lb. Also confinement produces a much leaner meat. That 1lb+ difference would be noticeable on the carcass. The texture is more like the Cornish Cross - very tender and moist. I like to keep my breeding stock on pasture free range it saves on feed and helps to keep the roo and hens more trim. I've found Heritage meatbirds fatten up quite easily and free range is a great way to reduce food intake. Also the exercise is good for them. I learned a hard lesson on egg fertility and production. I couldn't figure out why the Delawares and New Hampshires were laying only 3 eggs per week and of those three (noting eggs cracked for cooking) fertilization was low. Changing things up improved both for me. So my thing is free range breeding stock and confine meatbirds. Breed stock is back to 5-6 eggs/wk

Back
Top Bottom