Processed Pheasant Prices

ChickenTender63

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Alamance, NC
I think I need to seriously look at raising pheasants this next year. Does anyone have any experience with these birds that they can share please?

I had to run over to the pharmacy after my doctors appointment to get a prescription filled. The pharmacy is inside the grocery store here, so I was wandering around looking at meat prices while waiting.

I saw that they had pheasants. I was shocked though when I saw the price for them. They averaged $25.00 per bird. It was $7.99 lb, and the birds averaged between 3.5 & 4 lbs. Is this an average price for these in other areas also?

Then I got to the turkey section. I don't pay much attention to the "butterballs" (.29 lb), but rather the "Natural" birds. The prices averaged $60.00 for a 16 lb bird. Those of you that raise turkeys, do you have trouble trying to get these kind of prices from customers at all?

Quote:
I sold a muscovy drake i did for 50$ to a officer in our recruiting company. You cant get muscovies in the store.

Wow! Thats a great price. Do you think you could do that on a regular basis, or is it just going to be sporadic?

CT

Well he asked me if i would slaughter him one of my ducks and I said as a joke "sure but it'll cost ya 40$ and a 10$ officer surcharge" and he pulled out 50$.Didnt think he was serious, but i will deliver tomorrow. I prob wont get it on a reg. basis . I dont have the room to raise many of them. I will however sell the ducklings i get next year at the local auction and wherever i can.

Oh and the duck dressed out at 9 pounds

I want to try pheasant but not really want mind.....hehehe. So what market did you go into? I would like to see if I could get one local, Alabama.

Quote:
That was at my local Harris Teeter grocery store. I don't know if you have those in Alabama thogh. I found this one in the frozen turkey section, between the turkeys and the ducklings.

Good luck.

Quote:
Hey, you may be onto something. I especially like the "officer surcharge!"
lol.png
big_smile.png

Too bad you don't have the space for a big batch. You'd probably have to pay a processor to sell legally, but I bet the market would let you charge that much routinely. If the customer doesn't even blink at the price, it usually means you could get more. But I'd be happy with $50 a bird! No point in getting greedy. Good job!

I would be doing a naked dance over the chicken coop everynight if I could get $50 per bird. I may have to hatch out a batch and see what kind of desire is there in this area.

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom