Processed some chickens today

gooseapplefarms

Chirping
Aug 26, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Did 10 cornish cross this morning by myself. Took about 2.5 hours from kill to chill tank total, not including setup time. 30 minutes for kill, scald, pluck, 2 hours to clean. I gotta work on my cleaning skills, for sure. I only have 2 kill cones, so that added some time to the first portion. My cleaning table was just a little bit short for 10 birds, so there was some crowding. I didn't scald the legs long enough, had some yellow skin I had to cut off by hand after removing the feet. I let these birds go a little bit long, dressed weight without necks or organs have been 6.5 to 7.75lbs (I haven't weighed them all yet), and two of those was more than my drum plucker could handle if one gets wedged.

I got some inspiration from this video:
This guy has it down to a science. ~20 minutes for 8 birds though he doesn't keep the gizzards. I think I could do 6 in similar time with my setup if I add some additional kill cones.

They're chilling in the cooler ice bath until tomorrow, then I'll bag, weigh, and tag them. I've got to invest in an ice maker or otherwise figure out a convenient way to make block ice because 10 birds is costing $15 in ice, and that's $1.50 per bird, too much there.

My goal is to get to 40 chickens per month processed 8 months out of the year. That's 20 per month for my family, and 20 to sell. If I did them all in one day, by myself (ideally I'll have some help), I should be able to do 7 x 20 minute batches of 6 birds, for 140 minutes total plus setup, cleaning, and bagging.

These birds are all going in the freezer whole, but once my chamber vac comes in, I'll probably start parting the larger ones up. I decided to go with a chamber vac due to bag costs. 1k bags cost between $40 and $100, depending on size (around $0.04-$0.10 each). Whereas foodsaver style vacuum bags can cost 5-10 as much, greatly adding to the packing cost.

I freeze water in gallon jugs that vinegar comes in. I put them on top in the cooler. I rotate jugs from/to freezer every 8hrs.
Yeah, I think that would work fine for just home processing, but I don't think the poultry inspector will go for that. Anything that ends up in the cooler would be contaminated with bacteria.

My thinking right now is get some quart tupperware containers and stack them, and then use a small bag of ice

Wow, the guy in that video is very efficient. I like the process. He does, however, have all that nice expensive equipment that I can't afford yet so I wouldn't be able to be as fast as him in the scalding/plucking department.

Anyway, great job! 10 birds in 2.5 hours by yourself sounds very fast. On our only processing so far, I think it took my fiance and I 2.5 hours just to do the first 2 chickens! Lol.

Wow, the guy in that video is very efficient. I like the process. He does, however, have all that nice expensive equipment that I can't afford yet so I wouldn't be able to be as fast as him in the scalding/plucking department.

Anyway, great job! 10 birds in 2.5 hours by yourself sounds very fast. On our only processing so far, I think it took my fiance and I 2.5 hours just to do the first 2 chickens! Lol.
Yeah, the assembly line approach in that video really sped things up for me. The day before I did about 4 in the same time using a more traditional method (killed in groups of 2, scalded and plucked in 2, then cleaned each bird individually).

IMO, the key to the assembly line method is to know your limit. I think 6 is probably the sweet spot for me, rather than 10. Also, make sure you have a nice fan blowing on the table so flies don't land on all the birds that will just be sitting there.

Tomorrow is processing day here
I had to move it up a week because they were getting too big.
Gotta be flexible

But i’m Done with the Frankenstein chickens.
I'm terrible at estimating bird live weight while they're growing, lol. I had one dress out 8.2lbs from this batch, most were over 6.5 lbs. Two were around 5lbs and looked tiny to me. I think the next batch I'm going to do right at 8 weeks, even if they don't 'look ready' because they'll probably be around 4.5lbs dressed, which is right what I'm shooting for.

Yeah, the assembly line approach in that video really sped things up for me. The day before I did about 4 in the same time using a more traditional method (killed in groups of 2, scalded and plucked in 2, then cleaned each bird individually).

IMO, the key to the assembly line method is to know your limit. I think 6 is probably the sweet spot for me, rather than 10. Also, make sure you have a nice fan blowing on the table so flies don't land on all the birds that will just be sitting there.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, last time we did two at a time (one for each of us at a time), but maybe this time I'll do 4 and 3 at a time (we have 7 total), and set it up kind of like this guy does. I also would like to think we'll be a little faster this time anyway, just since it's our second time doing it now. We shall see! Thanks for the fan idea as well.

That's actually not a bad processing time. Takes me 1.5-2 hrs per chicken for 8-9 wk old CX (shorter time if I skin them). Takes 2.5 hrs for 1 yr old rooster (to skin). Just me, no one else helping, hand plucking after scalding when I plucked them. I part them (if I part them) and bag them right after processing, so that's included in my time.

That's actually not a bad processing time. Takes me 1.5-2 hrs per chicken for 8-9 wk old CX (shorter time if I skin them). Takes 2.5 hrs for 1 yr old rooster (to skin). Just me, no one else helping, hand plucking after scalding when I plucked them. I part them (if I part them) and bag them right after processing, so that's included in my time.
Parting out is not included in that time for me, so I think I'm still slow! Lol

Back
Top Bottom